Ever plan for something, work everything else around the plans, then not do it?
We planned to go to see a film today. Partner saw it with friends, really liked it, wants me to see it, and although it’s almost unheard of she is willing to see it again.
So we settled on today. Why? Because on Tuesdays she gets a discount. The film is at the end of its run, so it’s only showing once a day. We’ve waited a pretty long time already, because there were other things happening on Tuesdays. And the rest of the day was set up around the movie plans.
I was at the cinema on Sunday, came out of a meeting nearby and had some time to kill while kid had a meeting of her own, so I went and saw a different film. Not the one we planned to see together, that wouldn’t be fair. In hindsight, it may have been a wiser choice.
And then today it started to storm. And the dog freaked out with the thunder, cowering and shivering and hiding. Refusing to do her business outside, pulling away and running back upstairs instead. We thought that we could still go, if kid would stay and soothe the pup while we’re gone. But the dog was suffering so. We don’t remember her reacting this way last winter. She mostly hides in the bathroom, no idea why, and only comes out with a lot of encouragement (and a treat).
And then kid started not feeling well. We started waffling – go or not go?
We didn’t go.
Stayed home, all snuggled up in blankets, with the wind and the rain battering the windows. Soothing both dog and kid.
Maybe the film will still be shown a little longer. Maybe we’ll work out a different time to go.